Normally new machines come with single partition but it is safer to have multiple partitions. If the OS goes bad for some reason you may have to format the OS drive which may lead to loss of data if all the contents are kept in the OS drive.
Windows 8 has simple steps for partitioning the hard disk. These steps are given below.
1. Press Windows + R and type diskmgmt.msc. This would open Windows 8 Disk Management tool.
2. In the Windows 8 Disk Management tool window, right-click on any drive you want to partition and select “Shrink Volume“.
3. In the pop-up dialog, enter the amount of space to shrink.
4. Click “Shrink” in the previous dialog and we can preview a unallocated space next to the drive that was shrinked (In this case C drive).
5. Right click on it and select “New Simple Volume“. Then, we can partition a new volume in Widows 8 by following the guidance.
6. A new window will open, click “Next”
7. Click “Next” again.
8. Assign any letter to the drive and click “Next“.
9. Preferably select “Format this volume with the following settings:“. Keep “File system” and “Allocation unit size” as it is. You can set “Volume label” to any name you want. This will become the name of the partition/drive.
10. If everything goes right, you should see this screen.
11. Mission accomplished! If partition is successful, new drive will show up on Windows 8 Disk Management tool.